Master of Social Work and Scope – Eligibility, Scope, Areas of work
Master of Social Work and Scope – MSW is a Master of Social Work. MSW is a two year post-graduation course in the field of social work. The course can be pursued after completing a Bachelor degree. The focus of the course about giving and helping others in need. Human rights and social justice serve as the motivation and justification for social work action
The jobs can be explored in various NGOs (non-government organizations) across the nation to social development, a Master of Social Work (MSW) course provides a candidate an in-depth knowledge about the work put into the development of humanity and social welfare.
As such, social workers are change agents in society and in the lives of the individuals, families and communities they serve. It responds to crises and emergencies as well as to everyday personal and social problems
International organizations too are socially aware and hence a number of opportunities are available in international social work
Current Scenario of Social Work
With social awareness booming in the current scenario, the need for professionals in the field is growing day by day. Candidates pursuing Master of Social Work can make their career in the field of Medicine, Psychiatric Social Work, Human Resource Management, Criminology, Correctional Administration, NGOs and many welfare communities.
In India, Social work comes under the third sector of the economy which contributes over USD 30 Billion to the economy.
Master of Social Work (MSW) can be pursued in specialized fields such as Childhood Studies, Medicine, and Research. There are many options such as Social Services, Social Policy, Clinical Social Work and more.
The MSW course is divided into 4 semesters. The core subjects of the MSW syllabus are Human Growth and Development, Ideology and Ethics of Social Work, Poverty Reduction, Micro Finance and Micro Enterprises, etc.,
There are entrance tests to get admission. Some of the entrance tests mentioned below-:
- Jamia-Milia Islamia Entrance test
- TISS NET
- BHU PET
Merit Based– Some colleges and Universities admit students on the basis of their performance in graduation level. The percentage of marks they have obtained.
Colleges for MSW
- Assam University, Silchar (Assam)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Netaji Subhas Open University (NSOU)
- Christ University
- University of Mumbai
- TATA Institute of Social Science (TISS)
- Banaras Hindu University
- Maharaja Sayajirao (MS) University
- Madras School of Social Work
- Delhi School of Social Work, University of Delhi (Delhi)
- Dr. R.M.L Avadh University, Faizabad (UP)
- Amravati University (Amravati)
- Andhra University, Waltair (AP)
- Chaudhry Charan Singh University, Meerut (UP)
- Guru Ghasidas University (Chhattisgarh)
- Gujarat Vidyapeth, Ahmedabad (Gujarat)
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Calcutta University (W.B)
- Jain Vishva Bharti Institute, Ladnoon (Rajasthan)
- Kashi Vidyapith,Varanasi (U.P)
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra (Haryana)
Areas of opportunities
United Nations, The Goonj, Teach For India, CRY, UNESCO, UNICEF, Help-Age India, CINI, Labor Welfare office, Community Development sector, Rural Development Office
- Lecturer / Professor
- Research Officer/Researcher
- Welfare/Development Officer (like Child/Youth/Women/Labour etc.)
- Community-Development Officer
- Jail Probationary/Welfare Officer
- Urban Planners etc.